Continuing from Part 1, Tyrell Museum, I drove to visit Hoodoos, around 30 minutes drive. I was told by my local friend that its a "must see" attraction.
Below is the gorgeous scenery and weather on the drivve there.
What is Hoodoos?
"Hoodoos take millions of years to form and stand 5 to 7 metres tall. Each hoodoo is a sandstone pillar resting on a thick base of shale that is capped by a large stone. " (Official Drumheller)
Below is a resting area with shade for tourists to sit on the bench, relax and enjoy the scenery.
Hoodoos are distinct since its a natural formation. This picture is taken to the right of the picture above. With more greens, it gives an absolutely different feel and filled with more life.
Why is it named Hoodoos?
"Hoodoo" originated from the word "voodoo" by the Europeans. However, in Blackfoot and Cree traditions, Hoodoos were known as "petrified giants" whose awaken at night to toss rocks at intruders. (Official Drumheller)
Hoodoos are actually really fun rocks to climb on. It is a bit slippery as the grains are so small. Climbing up isn't too bad, coming down is when you could possibly slide. However, there are signs that do say "No climbing allowed".....but I just followed other tourists.....how could I possibly resist....
One of my favorite pics!
I was really lucky with the weather that day, it was raining everyday before that. Hoodoos can be found everywhere in Drumheller scattered around. But this location that I visited, was where most of they were congregated.
After coming here, I absolutely agree with my friend that its a "must see"!! The best part of Alberta that you cannot see in Toronto is the projected nature landscapes. If you want a break from the city life, this is where I would recommend you to go.
My experience would not have been as great if it rained. Thank goodness! ^^
****** AlbertaFlood *****
When I originally wrote this blog post, the flood did not happen yet. I am glad that my friends in Calgary are safe from the flooding. This was a very unusual event in the history of Alberta's weather, I really think its global warming. There seems to be an increased volume of rain water everywhere in the world as I spoke to friends in Asia and Europe. Hopefully, the province of Alberta will recover from this hardship quickly as the damage is incredibly huge. It is a very beautiful place filled with nature, great people, and culture. I definitely hope to visit this city again.
Please show support and love for Alberta. Donations can be made to Red Cross via the link below:
https://secure.redcross.ca/registrant/donate.aspx?eventid=126477&gclid=CK2Z4LOuibgCFfBaMgodiUAAEw
Every little bit counts.
I have made my contributions, have you? If you have, thank you so much on behalf of the people suffering from this crisis.














No comments:
Post a Comment