Wednesday, 3 April 2013

PRK Surgery Questions (FAQ) and Recovery

Links to my PRK journey:

My Consultations:
PRK Recovery

Below are common questions that may cross your mind, and hopefully my answers are helpful ^^

1. Is PRK safe?
PRK is a very safe procedure and like every surgery, there are risks.  Everyone's reaction to the procedure differs but there has been no reports of lost in vision as a result of this procedure.  Though there are risks of infections, increased eye pressure, dry eyes, and such, they won't cause blindness.  Most importantly, it has been FDA approved! That alone should be reassuring.  Although there is no exact list defining the number of complications for post-operation, studies suggest that the incidence of minor difficulties such as dry eyes and glares is ~3-5%. 


2. Does the procedure hurt? Was it painful?
Not at all!!  First, they offer you a valium "happy pill" to help you relax so you won't be as fidgety during the surgery.  Second, they put quite a bit of numbing drops into your eyes prior to.  The only thing you feel is the clamps that are forcing your eyes to stay open (discomfort), pressure from the surgeon holding your head down so it does not move, and drops being applied to your eye.  You would also smell the laser for about 30 seconds per eye as they "zap" away those cells.....

3. How do I know if I am eligible for this procedure?
You would have to go in for a consultation to determine if you are a candidate.  I suggest going to at least 2-3 as depending on the facility and experience of the surgeons, their response may differ.  I was told I could only do a intraocular lens impact (not laser) at one place and I could do PRK at 2 other places.  Ultimately, I would wisely pick a place with a well-known surgeon, good reviews, and latest technology.  It's your eyes we are talking about here, can't risk it with discount coupons or promotional offers.
Before a consultation, I suggest not wearing contacts for a week as the contacts makes your cornea swollen, and thus, gives an inaccurate measurement of your cornea thickness.

4. Is 20/20 vision guaranteed?
This is not a guarantee and it is stated in the consent form prior to surgery.  One of the risks of the surgery is over- and under-correction.  Because your eyes move and also your corneal cells has to grow back, during that time, depending on how your eyes heal, your vision is altered.  If you happen to be under-corrected, they offer enhancement surgeries free of charge.  You will just have to go through the recovery process again...
All in all, do not expect 20/20 vision.

5. How long should I take time off work for recovery?
1 week would be enough.  I only took 3 days off work and worked from home for 2 days.  After a week, my eyes were healed and bandages were off, so I was able to go back to the office.  I suggest scheduling your surgery on a Friday so that you have 4 extra days to recover before going back to work (2 weekends). 

6. When can I drive?
According to the Ontario Ministry of Transporation, "a visual acuity as measured by Snellen Rating that is not poorer than 20/50" is the mandatory G and M class standard.  However, I would have my opthamatologist assess my eyes and confirm that I am ok to drive prior to.  I started driving 1 week after my procedure when the bandage was removed.  Just don't run yellow as some signs will be a bit difficult to read due to decreased acuity.  Again, this differ from person to person, be the judge and think safe. 

7. When can I wear makeup again?
I was told by my consultant at Bochner that I should not wear makeup for a month after the surgery (especially eyeliner) as it would cause my eyelids to rub against my cornea.  However, I started wearing makeup 2 weeks post-op after receiving permission from my opthamatologist.  I wore light makeup for 2 weeks before proceeding to heavy eyeliner and eyeshadow.  The light makeup comprised of some eye serum, concealer, and just eye lashes.  I did not wear eyeliner until 1 month after.
However, I have heard of people who started applying it a week after and had no complications.  Just note that when you wear makeup, a lot of the particles goes into your eyes and may cause more dryness, irritation and possibly infections.

You question was not on the list?  No problem!  Leave me a message and I will definitely add it to the list as well as respond to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment